Migrating mailbox c...

Notifications
Clear all

Migrating mailbox content using migration facility of Exchange 2016 - it is possible creating users with SolidCP?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@davide)
Eminent Member

I'm migrating from my old on-premise Exchange 2010 (websitepanel contolled) to a new on-premise Exchange 2016 (SolidCP controlled).

I already installed my new on-premise Exchange 2016 and SolidCP and all works well.

The two system live in totally different Forest: Exchange 2010 has own domain controller and own DNS name that are different from Exchange 2016.

Now I wish to move mailbox contents from old Websitepanel customers to new SolidCP customers.

I'll create new accounts (not so many accounts) from scratch in SolidCP.

To migrate mailbox content I have 2 options:

1) On Exchange 2010 export mailbox content to .PST file and on Exchange 2016 import .PST file in the mailbox
This options is okay and works well but I have to do several step: Export / Copy PST File / Import. Big mailboxes and several time occurs for every move.

2) Use the migration from ECP.
I spent several hours without success to search for a solution to let this working.
The problem is that for migration to works I need to have a User of type "MailUser" (not "UserMailbox") in the target system (Exchange 2016). So:
2.1) I created the destination new mailbox using SolidCP
This is not sufficient because migration want a destination user of type "MailUser".

2.2) Then I deleted the mailbox (and left user) and using ECP I created a new contact "Mail User" bind to the user
This is not sufficient because migration want a valid ExchangeGuid property (the so created user ha Exchange Guid 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000)
Someone has some idea to how use SolidCP to create a user of type "MailUser" so that I can migrate mailbox content to my new Exchange 2016?

2 Replies
Admin
(@m-tiggelaar)
Noble Member

Hello,

I have little experience with the Migration of ECP, but from the sound of it it makes things a bit too complex 🙂

So i would recommend a powershell script that automates the export and import of the .pst mailboxes.

Aslong as the identities are idential it should automate things for you.

An example of such powershell script to export all:

$Export = Get-Mailbox

$Export|%{$_|New-MailboxExportRequest -FilePath \yourserverpst$($_.alias).pst}

To import:

Foreach ($i in (Get-Mailbox)) { New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox $i -FilePath "\yourserverpst$($i.Alias).pst" }

If my notes serve me correctly both of the commands should to the trick so you can kickback and relax 🙂

Regards,

Marco

Topic starter
(@davide)
Eminent Member

>>I have little experience with the Migration of ECP, but from the sound of it it makes things a bit too complex

Yes it is a bit complex.

Export / Import is probably the best choice.

Thank you

Share: