Having had lived the nightmares of dealing with the upgrade process of WSP and having the database cause major issues during that process, we would rather have everything fresh and only have the user info imported into the new SolidCP Database, that way we have removed any of the old WSP info that may still remain from version 1.x, etc…
I can imagine.
I seen many issues with the upgrade process of WSP in the past.
I did test wsp –> solidcp a bunch of times before it was released, this doesn’t guarantee a bulletproof process but it should atleast prevent many nightmares.
We are also working on a tool to automate the migration process for the user. (it should be released in the next few days)
Within a few weeks automatic updates will be released to further spare people from nightmares on updating/ upgrading 🙂
and dnp v1 database must indeed have alot of left overs so i can understand.
I did fix the IIS Import bug that was present in WSP for a long time which atleast gives less headaces with any form of backup/ import / export
If you need any help or run into any issues we are always happy to help out.
I can share what I have done, because I did not want any issue with the old wsp either, so we came up with the below procedure. Please keep in mind, that the steps are a high overlay on what to do. I wrote it for my techs, because they already know where to generate scripts in Microsoft Studios.
- Created a backup of my wsp content folder and the database.
- Email my clients of the back-in outage. Do not want them upset 🙂
- Shutdown the WebsitePanel App pools.
- Wrote down the WebsitePanel websites binding then removed them (You will be installing Solidcp with the WSP Binding. Cant have both.) You can also back the applicationhost.config file if you want that extra security for backup the bind.
- Install the Solidcp services and allow it to create a new databases, and bind it to whatever binds you had with WSP.
- After the installs, I went to the new database in Studios and generated scripts from the database of all the stored procedures (name file something you can fine for this it will be solidSP.sql). (Did not want to use any old once from MSP or WSP This may not need to be done, but hey safe is always good).
- Now go to the old database in Studios and generate a script to export both scheme and data. This can be changed in the advance button in the script generation wizard (name file something you can fine. For this it will be productiondata.sql). (You may have to break this down in chucks, depending on the size of your database)
- Open the script file productiondata.sql you created and search and replace “[Websitepanel]” with “[SolidCP]”. Then do a search and replace “websitepanel” with “solidcp”. (if your migrating from MSPControl then replace WebsitePanel with that.)
- Backup the new SolidCP database, then delete it.(The script will recreate it)
- Run you script. It will re-create SolidCP with all of your data in the tables.
- Now from this point. I think you can just run the upgrade scripts provided in the KB to migrate to SolidCP, and it will update scheme and stored procedures. Just to be on the safe side I ran it, and still ran the solidSP.sql script I created to backup the stored procedures.
- To do that open the solidsp.sql file for editing. You will have to do a find and replace for “CREATE PROCEDURE” with “ALTER PROCEDURE”. Save the run.
- After the above, I logged into SolidCP and checked all services. I had to go to each and the password again for what ever services it was. For example I went to our MSSQL services on this node, typed in the password again, then clicked on update. This was done for all service that has a password.
- Once all of this was done to all nodes. We tested all function, and so far no issue. If any is found I will post it here.
Hey, I’m still in trouble and do not understand how to import the user from my old websitepanel installation to my new solidcp installation. I really don’t want to migrate the whole database. Our goal is a fresh install with our actually hosted environment inside. I try to work with the enterprise import tool, but without success. Everytime the error message that I haven’t a temporary domain configured…
Backup, restore is also not working.
I would really appreciate to get some help from you guys. I’ve no idea how to proceed now.
Thanks in advance!
some news regarding a documentation for the enterprise import tool?
Or maybe someone else who could use the tool with success?
I’ve tried so many ways without result.
- Views7073 times
- Answers12 answers