Migrate from Web Pa...

Notifications
Clear all

Migrate from Web Panel 1.0.2 with Exchange 2010 SP3 to SolidCP with Exchange 2016

20 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@ignacio-pardofujitsu-es)
Eminent Member

I'd like to know how I could do a migration to SolidCP
I have this environment

• Exchange 2010 SP3 with several clients
  • WebPanel versión 1.0.2 with SQL Server 2008 R2
  • Exchange 2016

Currently we've migrate one of our clients with all of their mailboxes to Exchange 2016

Regrarding SQL, Do I need to migrate my current SQL database in my webpanel prior migrate to SolidCP?
This article say it's needed SQL 2005
https://solidcp.com/kb/installation/solidcp-requirements/
This other article say it's needed SQL 2012 Express
https://solidcp.com/kb/installation/solidcp-requirements/

Another Qestion, which will be the best procedure in order to do the migration?
In this article explain how to do it but I he doubts about it because migrate all mailboxes could it take several months
https://solidcp.com/forum/question/migrating-from-exchange-2010-sp3-with-websitepanel-mult-tenant-to-exchange-2016-multi-tenant-with-solidcp/
In which moment one client will be linked to Exchange 2016 databases. I have to say each client is linked to one database

I don't know if it would be a good idea make a new installation of SolidCP in a new Server, configurate it and import the users. By this way, the clients migrated to Exchange 2016 should connect by solidCP page.
Does anyone help me?

Thank you in advanced

19 Replies
Admin
(@m-tiggelaar)
Noble Member

I'm afraid it won't really help.
Public folders to my knowledge can only be converted ones in one go.
OAB's have to be re-generated (which you normally do in 1 go, but technically you can do this manually).
PF + OAB is more or less tied to the exchange your using (2010 does it differently then 2013 and up).
So it really normally only works with one way at a time.
Normally you leave it at the exchange 2010 untill all mailboxes have been moved (it just means newly created mailboxes need to be moved every time aswell).
Also please note that the Database restriction able to set in older WebsitePanels has been removed since websitepanel 2.0 or 2.1, in the newer versions it's using exchange balancer to select the best available database. (you can include or exclude databases from the list via command, but generally you can't split them up per organization).
Another issue i can see is that you have 1.0.2, where we only got the upgrade to WebsitePanel 2.0 (database script) while i think you need 1.1, 1.2.1 and then 2.0, --> then SolidCP (only the database upgrade script, the files don't matter).
For SQL i would always use the latest available / capable which currently is 2017.

Topic starter
Eminent Member

For everything you say, may be it would be a good idea do the migration by this way

• Make a fresh installation of SolidCP in a new server and configurate it
  • Create the hosting plans, users, etc for one company
  • - Migrate the users of a company to Exchange 2016
  • - Import the users to SolidCP

Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 for each company By this way, I'll have two panel controls. One of them attached to Exchange 2010 with webpanel and other with Exchange 2016 with SolidCP
I don't know if I can have both enviroments run at the sometime.
In this moment I have one environment with

• Exchange 2010 in DAG with their own database space and DC
  • Exchange 2016 in DAG with their own database space and DC

Could you please give me your opinion?
Regarding database, as you said, it's not possible to lynk a company to a database, so if I need to lynk a company to a database I'll have to make scripts by powershell in order to organize some mailbox. This is needed for us because of our software backup and retentions any tip?
Thank you in advanced

Topic starter
Eminent Member

Regarding SQL version, searching on the net, I've found this article wrote by you
https://websitepanel-support.com/news/websitepanel-alternative-opensource/
In my case, what it would be your advice in order to do the migration to SolidCP?
I've searching on the net and I haven't found any article about how to make the migration of our WSP panel to the latest version, prior the migration to SolidCP
I see this article regarding the migration of WSP Panel
https://websitepanel-support.com/news/websitepanel-2-1-original-installer/
Is this upgrade possible?

May be, as I wrote before, may be the best solution is making a fresh installation of SolidCP in a new server pointing a new Clients OU and after that set up it for the clients, migrate the users
In this moment, we've got address book in Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016 for one client and it works fine
Regarding public folders, we have public folders in exchange 2010 but with no data, so our idea is don't migrate the public folders to exchange 2016
What is your opinion about which procedure would be the best option?

Admin
(@m-tiggelaar)
Noble Member

Basically even if you setup 2 panels the issue still remains that SolidCP needs to make Public Folders, and OAB's per hosted org.
Due to those being different methods for exchange 2010 and 2016 you can only really use either exchange 2010 or exchange 2016 method not both together at the same time.
In general you would most likely stick to the 2010 method untill all exchange mailboxes are moved over, do a oab removal / re-creation for all oab's, and migrate PF's, once done you swap the panel to exchange 2016.

Due to your panel being far behind (1.0.2) i don't think there's any way for you to upgrade the database properly from 1.0.2 to WebsitePanel 2.1 (there's no direct upgrade path which means you need other versions such as 1.1 and 1.2.1, then move to 2.0 and then you can move to SolidCP). unfortunatly i don't think if there's any place that still has 1.1 and 1.2.1 SQL upgrade scripts.. we only have the 2.0 upgrade script.
So starting a new freshly build panel would most likely be a good option for you.

Page 1 / 4
Share: